Author: Shannon Messenger
“The Keeper Of Lost Cities” is a captivating novel penned by Shannon Messenger. It’s the inception of a riveting series that transports readers to a realm filled with magic, adventure, and enigmatic discoveries.
Summary for Keeper of the Lost Cities
The tale unfolds with 12-year-old Sophie Foster, who discovers her telepathic abilities, setting her apart from the crowd. Her life takes a fantastical twist when she crosses paths with Fitz, a fellow telepath, who reveals her elfin lineage. Together, they journey to Lumenaria, an enigmatic realm harboring ageless elves and a plethora of magical beings. Enrolled in the Hogwarts-esque school of Foxfire, Sophie embarks on a quest to unravel her mysterious origins while navigating through friendships, rivalries, and looming dark schemes that threaten her newfound world
Introduction to Characters:
Sophie Foster: Sophie is a 12 year old girl who is intensely clever and intelligent. She is seen as an outcast due to her smarts, and many people look down on her. She does not like attention and strives to stay out of the spotlight. Sophie always wants to protect her friends and family, even if it means putting herself in danger.
Fitz: Fitz is a mysterious boy, who eventually reveals himself as an elf with multiple magical powers. He brings Sophie into the world of the elves, and sticks by her in times of trouble. He was one of the main people to help her with her transition to her new life.
- The narrative explores themes of self-discovery, friendship, and the classic battle between good and evil, intertwined with a young girl’s quest to belong and unveil her true potential.
Questions to Consider:
Why do you think Sophie was so willing to use a tracking device when she came to the elvish world? Is it right for the elves to trade privacy for safety?
How does the way the elves choose their social classes, (ranked by powers and magical ability) interfere with their “perfect” society?
Does the elves refusal to help other species add to the conflicts in the story? Is it right of the elves to withhold help to others just because they aren’t elves?
Strengths and weaknesses:
The book excels in building a vibrant, imaginative setting, filled with exotic creatures and magical adventures that will captivate young readers. However, some may find the storyline treading on the familiar path of a young, chosen protagonist uncovering their magical prowess.
What makes the book unique:
The unique blend of a modern-day setting with a fantastical elfin world provides a fresh backdrop for the age-old tale of good versus evil.
Use of literary devices:
Imagery and symbolism are employed to enrich the narrative, drawing readers deeper into the magical world of Lumenaria.
Online Reviews of Keeper of the Lost Cities:
- “A delightful and dangerous adventure with complex characters and relationships you’ll root for to the end of time.” —Lisa McMann, New York Times bestselling author of THE UNWANTEDS
- “Keeper of the Lost Cities is a little bit Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a little bit Lord of the Rings, and a little bit Harry Potter. And it’s all fun!” —New York Times bestselling author Michael Buckley
- “A large and varied cast of supporting characters and an intriguing premise contribute to make this an exciting start to a promising series.” —Booklist
- “A slew of interesting and well-drawn characters, careful plotting, and just plain good storytelling will have readers racing through the pages.” —School Library Journal
- ISBN: 978-1-4424-4593-2
- Number of pages: 496
- Publisher name: Aladdin
- First publish date: October 2, 2012
- Has it been made into a movie, tv or other streaming format: (This information can be added after further research)
- Genre: Fantasy
- BISAC Categories: Children’s Action & Adventure Fiction, Children’s Science Fiction & Fantasy, Children’s Social Themes
- Suggested Reading Age: 10-12 years
Is this book part of a series?
- Yes, this book is the first entry in the “Keeper of the Lost Cities” series, which continues to unravel the magical journey of Sophie Foster and her companions.
- Purchase the series on Bookshop.org
~ Scattered Books