09 Sep Leigh Bardugo’s Six of Crows: In-Depth Book Review & Analysis
Six of Crows, a fantasy novel penned by the gifted author Leigh Bardugo, immerses readers into a world of magic, mystery, and mayhem. The main point of this review is to assess the novel’s literary accomplishment while highlighting its unique attributes. In terms of reading age, it is recommended for young adults, particularly those aged 14 and above.
The narrative offers a brief yet vast exploration of an enchanting world. Set in a city likened to Amsterdam, but teeming with magic, the tale follows six outcasts on a daring heist. Important themes such as survival, friendship, and morality are deeply explored throughout the book.
- Strengths: Bardugo’s ability to craft unique, diverse, and multi-dimensional characters; engaging plot.
- Weaknesses: Some readers may find the narrative overly complex.
- Literary devices: Bardugo uses symbolism, foreshadowing, and irony to enhance the depth and intrigue of her narrative.
- Social issues: The book subtly speaks to broader social issues like discrimination and the struggle for power.
Fans of fantasy and adventure would enjoy this book owing to its imaginative setting, intricate plot, and richly developed characters. It stands its ground compared to other popular works in the genre and by Bardugo herself. With its gripping narrative and complex character dynamics, Six of Crows earns a definitive recommendation.
Possible Questions For a High School Test
- Describe the main characters and their roles in the plot.
- What are the major themes explored in the book?
- How does Leigh Bardugo use foreshadowing in the narrative?
Awards and Accolades
Six of Crows found a place in the New York Times Bestseller List and won numerous awards including Goodreads Choice Awards Best Young Adult Fantasy & Science Fiction.
Functional Details About the Book
- ISBN: 978-1627792127
- Number of pages: 465
- Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
- First publish date: 2015
- Genre: Fantasy
- BISAC Categories: Young Adult Fiction / Fantasy / General
- Suggested Reading Age: 14+
With an impressive rating of 4.44 on Goodreads, the book has garnered praise for its engrossing narrative and well-developed characters.
Where to buy the book
Six of Crows can be purchased on Bookshop.org.
Is this book part of a series?
Yes, Six of Crows is the first in a duology, followed by Crooked Kingdom. The series can be purchased on Bookshop.org.
About the Author
Leigh Bardugo is a New York Times-bestselling author famous for her Grishaverse novels. She has won several awards, including the Cybils Award for Young Adult Fantasy & Sci-Fi.